Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Wrench

That is exactly what was thrown into my happiness strut...a monkey wrench. I called a friend who I have not talked to in a while. There was something in her voice that didn't sound right. Either she was upset or she was sad. I asked. She tells me that a friendship is like a plant, and if it is not watered you can not expect it to survive. I was dumbfounded. She continued to tell me that she put forth much effort and my token response was always, 'everything is good with me, very busy.' The hurt and confusion I felt were immediate.

I didn't bother explaining. There was no point, I know her. She was going to be heard. So I listened.

I didn't bother explaining because I had felt the same way months before and decided to reduce my effort in order not to feel resentment...in the 'why do I feel I am doing all the work here' kind of way. I have the phone bills to prove it for goodness sake.

My day ended in a terrible funk yesterday and it continued today.

Is this the right time to let this go? Or should there be an attempt to renew? Years ago I'd fight for things like this, today I respect wishes.

No comments: