Sunday, April 23, 2006

Class system, really?

Oprah had an interesting show on social classes in America. It makes me uncomfortable to realize I make class distinctions. I didn't think I did, but apparently I do. The rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer and the middle class is shrinking...have been hearing this for some time now.

Why do I feel bad about my realizations? Because like the panel expert said, it's a taboo subject. We don't talk about this stuff openly. I remember having a conversation regarding dating and standards when I was in school. I expressed my opinion that you marry at your level, or above, but not below. I was called a materialistic snob. I want to believe love conquers all and that a couple can weather anything, but this is not realistic. The divorce rate is ridiculous, and often the tension revolves around money problems.

Class indicators used:
Weight - Used to mean you had money to feed yourself, today being overweight indicates you don't have money to take care of yourself.
Teeth - "If you have money you are going to fix your teeth."
Dialect - If you have one, you are perceived as not educated.

Elite class - Don't know anyone in this category. ;)
Upper class - I know very few in this class.
Middle class - I consider myself middle class...not upper middle class though. Should an event push me out of this class, I would more than likely wind up in the working class aka lower class.
Working class - Majority of my family falls into this category.

No comments: