Friday, May 14, 2004

Tested


The sh*t hit the fan at work recently. When this happens it seems the natural instinct is to find someone to blame. This is also where you find out how accountable people are for their own f*ck ups.

I found a bit of a problem with some software. I reported it to the key players who would make a decision to delay the release or let it move forward. They chose to ignore my warning. The release night comes along and management pulled the plug on the release at the last minute. People were not happy. Immediately fingers were pointing...to my team. What the hell!

I let them know a day before the release that there was a problem and they decided not to follow up. Where they found the balls to feign ignorance about my warning is beyond me. I can't understand it. I refuse to understand it.

Eventually the truth surfaced. Yeah, someone dropped the ball and it was not my team.

It's disappointing. We are all on the same team with the same goal: release good software to the users.

One of the guys told me I'm pretty popular on the floor the developers sit on. Yeah, wouldn't want to be a fly on that damn wall.

It's basic. I've lost respect for them. The thing is we are on the same project. I'll be working with them for a long time.

Accountability is golden. Either you hold yourself responsible or someone will do it for you.

The release went out with the fix tonight.

No comments: