Monday, June 06, 2005

Gandhi

Come to find out I have been mispelling Gandhi all this time. I always thought it was spelled Ghandi.

I had not seen this 1982 masterpiece. Maybe because in 1982 my mother took me to see E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial four or five times at my pleading! And that was also the year of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back. Mom only took me twice to see Star Wars. Goes to show you my love for movies started at a very young age...8. And probably younger than that. Saturday morning matinees.

I could not have appreciated Gandhi then. It is a great movie. It educated me to a degree. I knew about Gandhi, but I didn't know about Gandhi. Does that make sense? (Note: Read a book on Gandhi)

The most powerful scene for me was the scene at the salt factory. Row after row of non-violent people walked to the doors even though the people that had just walked before them were beaten terribly. I don't know that I have that kind of courage and conviction in my beliefs. I discussed this scene with a friend. He thinks it was overdramatized. Maybe. I don't know. But as Americans all we have to do is look at news footage of non-violent, civil rights workers a mere 50 years ago. I can only hope and pray that when I am put to the test, I show the same courage.

No comments: