Saturday, April 17, 2004

Reno, NV


The drive to Reno was not as bad as I thought it would be. I did not take the South Lake Tahoe route, which is more scenic. It was a straight shot on interstate 80. We went there without hotel reservations, because there would be a room available somewhere. Wrong! Everything was booked. There was a suite available for $1200/night. What the hell?!?! That was just obscene and out of the question.

We traveled to the next town, Carson City the state capitol of Nevada. Everything was booked! One o'clock in the morning and no place to sleep. Worst case scenario: we'd sleep in the car after parking in front of the police station. (Always have a plan Z.) All of a sudden there are bright lights flashing. Someone had gotten pulled over by the police. To my surprise...it was me.

Police: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Nope.
Police: Driver's license please.
Police: It's one o'clock in the morning on a Saturday night and you are driving around without your headlights on.
Me: Ohh.

I did not get a ticket. He was pretty nice. Our luck turned. The last hotel had one room available. The clerk said, "Last room and it's a smoking room. I don't have non-smoking rooms." I don't care, just get me a bed. I need to stay out of Carson City, both times I have been pulled over by the police. The first time was for speeding.

In Reno, we caught a musical review show called Broadway. They performed sequences from Chicago, Cabaret, 42nd Street, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables. It was great. My respect was renewed for people in the entertainment business. Singing, dancing, acting. Those people worked the stage and it did not look easy.