Tuesday, July 20, 2004

International Panel

China. England. Honduras. India. Russia. Those were the countries represented. The topic was cultural differences. There was one common theme: the perception of Americans as arrogant. The funny thing is some of the most arrogant people I have met have been foreigners, but I know not to label their fellow countrymen arrogant. To me, labels like that are earned on an individual basis.

I question who they deal with on a day to day basis. I am American and am far from arrogant. I have dealt with Americans my entire life, I am surrounded by them but my run-ins with 'arrogance' have been minimal. Call it my good luck.

When the panel was questioned further, what I heard was a confusion between confidence and arrogance. What's wrong with acknowledging you can do something, when you know you can?

Another difference was asking questions. I have no problems stating when I don't know how to do something and asking for help. Neither do most of the people I know. It's work. Get over that learning curve and proceed. Projects need to reach completion. The majority of the panel expressed a fear of asking stupid questions or stating a weakness.

The panel pointed out American directness/straightforwardness. Ambiguity wastes time. I enjoy taking what comes out of a person's mouth at face value and not having to decipher what was really meant. (This coming from a person accused of being too direct.)

On a different cultural note, one of my co-workers implied I should have been on the panel representing a second Latino perspective. The missing blond hair, blue/green eyes and Spanish last name made him question my not volunteering. When I am in Mexico, people tell me, "Tu no entiendes, eres Americana." I'm in the States and people assume I am Mexican. In retrospect, I dare say I got the best of both cultures. (It could have been the worse of both cultures, but thanks to my parents and those that have crossed my path it did not turn out that way.) Let me guess, that came across as arrogant. ;)

Okay, I'll end with a quote.

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
-Baha'u'llah, the Founder of the Baha'i Faith

No comments: