Thursday, July 08, 2004

Mini-vacation

Work has been crazy for far too long. With offshoring to India, the company's latest cost-cutting announcement (read: lay-offs), more work than is healthy for anyone...I said, screw this, I'll see you in a couple of days. My only regret is that I did not make it ten days as originally planned.

At first I was toying with the idea of taking time off. Then we had a meeting with one of our vice presidents. He said we needed to decide for ourselves if it was worth it for each of us personally to proceed through the remaining of this year (probably longer) with anxiety/rumors about job security. That was my sign to take a break...to mentally prepare to stick it out and let the chips fall where they may or start looking for another job maybe even a career change. I walked out of that meeting and bought my airline ticket for the next day within an hour.

I've opted to let the chips fall where they may only because I am in a prime position to continue learning and continue being challenged. On the side, I will be updating my resume since I will also be playing it by ear. If it gets to be too much, I'm ready to move on.

Hanging out with my family was great, as always. I again questioned my decision to be so far from them after seeing how my parents have aged. I feel overprotective of them and the need to be near.

I also laughed more than I have in years. The kind of laughing where control is fleeting and breathing is almost impossible. This thanks to M.

Time to start planning me next getaway.

No comments: