Saturday, June 26, 2004

Home Run

Michael Moore has done it again. His latest movie lives up to its hype. Movies with this much press run the risk of being highly disappointing. There was no room for disappointment with regards to the film itself. (There was room for some of the people in it.) Instead there was awe, disgust, laughter, reflection, shock, tears...

Fahrenheit 9/11
Editing is definitely mightier than the pen and sword combined. There were some points that I can argue with, but that is my personal opinion. Anything that makes people think and want to take action has succeeded, even if that action is as simple as dialogue.

One of the arguments I've heard is about letting kids (pre-teens/teens) watch this film even in the company of their parents. The fact that children are growing up killing/blowing people up in video games screams hypocrisy people. Wake up already. Pay attention to some of the young soldiers interviewed. I subscribe to the school of thought that we are becoming desentisized and the younger generations much more quickly.

One item that really bothered me was the military recruitment focused on predominantly minority kids. I never really thought of why people signed up for the military, I always assumed it was a choice. (Yes, they had a choice, but a limited one given the circumstances, the outlook.) And I say this, because I wanted to join the military right out of high school. I seeked out the necessary people and got the information I needed. My then desire to join was a love of country. A sense of duty. My father and an ex talked me out of it. My father did not think I could cut it. My ex thought I'd get kicked out since I don't take kindly to orders. Fastforward to now, I am a computer geek for goodness sake safe in my cubicle wondering what my life would have been like if...

Conclusion: watch it there is something for everyone.

No comments: