Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Catching Up #1


Although I've been busy I still manage to watch some movies in my downtime. I've noticed I am not making it to the movies as much as before, because before I know it they are already out on DVD.

Raising Helen
Kate Hudson, the new Meg Ryan, in that girl-next-door, too cute to be real way. After her sister passes away, she gets custody of her sister's three kids. This was such a cute film.
I can't imagine having my life changed so dramatically. One day single with a career, the next day a mother of three and having to prioritize the children above that career you've worked for. (Yes, almost the same premise as Ben Affleck's Jersey Girl which I also liked.)

I have this thing with planning, probably because of the false sense of absolute control derived from it. This is one of the reasons I opted out of being a godparent recently.

The Company
I've only been to two ballet 'shows' in my life. Both times I have enjoyed them very much. Seeing ballet dancers up close finally allowed me to classify them as athletes instead of just dancers. They might be smaller, but those are the most fragile-looking well-defined bodies I've seen.
The Company is a movie that uses real ballet dancers as actors, not vice versa. This movie meant to capture the real life of these dedicated athletes and it did. It's not a glamorous one and a whole lot of work.
For a storyline approach, I recommend Center Stage. Ballet was the backdrop instead of the story in this one.

Beyond Borders
Traveling to a war-torn country to find a loved one is a hard sell for me. Watching Angelina Jolie go looking for the man she loves makes it even harder. I can't take her seriously in such a role, blame Lara Croft.
Now another movie with the same premise, different country really moved me. I really liked Harrison's Flowers. Maybe because I do see Andie McDowell as a more serious actress? Hmmm.

There was a scene in the Jolie movie that made me question what would I do? No, not about looking for someone with all odds against me. What would I do if I heard the click of a landmine? Would I stand there as long as I could wishing for a miracle? Or would I accept my fate and step off?

No comments: