Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Catching Up #2


Another round of foreign films.

God is Great, I'm Not
Audrey Tautou, star of Amelie, need I say more? She is looking for "that something" in various religions. All the while there is a relationship building with a male 12 years her senior. This movie is by no means near Amelie standards, but it was enjoyable.

Having taken up the spirituality theme this year, myself, I could identify with the searching. I've read the Buddhism books. More than a decade ago I had some interest in Judaism.
Years ago I also dated someone who was twelve years my senior. Don't ask. ahhhaha I notice that in other countries age is really nothing but a number. Today I look back and ask myself, what the hell was I thinking? I wouldn't trade that experience for anything in the world, but seriously what was I thinking!

Nine Queens
This Argentinian film was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Bait and switch. Kept me guessing until the end. This movie is about con artists and some of the stuff they pull. There was a scene where the older con artist tells the younger one to look around him, that cons are everywhere. It was a little nervewracking to think I could be the victim of a con/pickpocket. I'm doing good though, I don't fall for the junk mail that claims I have won a prize and need to call a long distance number to claim my winnings. ;)

Happy Times
Chinese films are like Iranian films in that they can deliver great entertainment with no sex or violence. And, if there is sex or violence it's there for the storyline not just the bottom dollar selling point.
This film was about a man who desperately wants to marry and needs to raise the money for the wedding. The wedding falls through, but he develops a relationship with a young blind girl, a father-daughter relationship. The movie's clean and wholesome approach was refreshing.

Wonderland
Slice of life movies can be so depressing. I go to the movies to escape, to laugh, to cry, to enjoy. This English movie was just depressing. About people who don't have a handle on their life. I don't need to see that, I'm living it for goodness sake. It worked in the sense that I realized 'the grass is definitely greener on my side.'

No comments: