Sunday, February 19, 2006

Coined a new phrase

I am a "foreigner snob." Does that make sense? I'm watching the Olympics and if Italians are being interviewed I stop what I am doing to focus. Since high school, I've had a thing for Italians and these Torino games have proven to me that this feeling is alive and well.

I've entertained the thought, only the thought, of allowing myself a one night stand when I travel to Italy. Me?! One of the most conservative and old fashioned people I know. Is there such a thing as an Italian fetish? If there is , sign me up for the 12 step recovery program.

Went to a baptism this afternoon. The family is from the Philippines. When I hear the word godparents to me it means a set of people, preferably married, who promise to guide and if necessary take care of the child. When they asked parents and godparents to step up to the altar, I expected to see 4 adults and the baby. What I saw was 12 adults and the baby. Somehow all these people are godparents of that one child. I've never seen this before, it has to be a cultural thing. I'll ask on Tuesday.

Everyone at the baptism was Filipino except for the priest, the person helping the priest and me. Apparently this was not clear to the people there, because people kept coming up to me and speaking to me in Tagalog. (smile) Sorry, I don't understand. This only made them think I was the Americanized Filipina. Sure, whatever.

I went to see The New World. I liked this movie. The love story, the hearbreak, the scenery, 'Rebecca' making the right decision in the end, the understanding of her husband. Colin Farrell. Colin Farrell with long hair. Well, quite a few people walked out because they found it boring. Per my own humble opinion, this movie was not boring. It was very interesting. So much so, that I had added to my list of to-dos: read about John Smith/Pocahontas.

No comments: