Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Will be heard

That was my plan when I stepped into my boss' office this afternoon. There were three things to discuss: my yearly review, my raise and my discontent.

The review was fine, nothing to get upset about. It wasn't great, but could have been worse. I call it a dime a dozen. This was where I finally understood this man knows nothing about me and really doesn't care. Having previously worked with managers who care, not pretend to care, but actually care...this was completely disheartening.

The raise was normal, nothing to write home about.

My discontent. I realize now I was playing with fire. I started by expressing my disatisfaction, which did not get a second thought. In one ear and out the other. I wasn't willing to let this slide. I told him I was looking for another job and had been asked how quickly I could transfer. His reaction could have been one of "go ahead" or " don't." It was neither. This was the magic bullet. This is where I had his attention. His concern readable on his face. He was shocked. "What can I do to change your mind?" Nothing, this is something I am thinking about. "Is this your offical notice that you are looking for another position?" No, not official, but I just want you to know how unhappy I am. "Is there anything I can do to change your mind?" No, I just want you to know where I stand as of now. Thank you for your time. I'll keep you posted.

I'm thinking about it. That's all I can say. I've mentally gone through the pros and cons, but it needs more time.

No comments: