Saturday, January 15, 2005

Minor Luxuries

I don't have material needs. Food, clothing and shelter are covered. The next items go against my new fiscal agenda, which is to save, save, save.

I spent hours researching satellite radio. Two companies to choose from: Sirius and XM Radio. Why? Two reasons: (1) tired of commercials and (2) my Spanish music choices are limited. (One of the reasons I miss L.A.) The research was to determine which service I should go for. In the end, I was wondering why I had to limit myself to one. Why not both?

Then came TiVo research. My friends rave about this thing and I've seen why. I've been fighting this purchase for a long time, but I'm weakening.

Do I need them? No, not at all. Do I want them? Hell, yes, which is in direct contrast to save, save, save.

During one of my blog reading sessions, I came across an article about the cost of staying connected. It adds up, but we never fully realize it because we think of it as a monthly expense not a yearly one. My staying connected cost (land line, cell, ISP, cable, Netflix) comes to $171/month or roughly $2052/year. Do I want to add $36/month?

I believe I've just talked myself out of it. ;)

No comments: