Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Stance

Things don't seem right in the world, when I'm blogging and convicted murderer Donald Beardslee was executed a few minutes ago in San Quentin State Prison (some 30 miles away).

A few years ago I was for the death penalty. I remember spending a Saturday signing Amnesty-type letters at church. We sat in a circular table and passed the letters along after the priest talked about the issue at hand. I absolutely agreed with most of the letters and signed them without a second thought. One of the letters was against the death penalty. Everyone signed it and then it got to me. I didn't sign it. Everyone looked at me strangely. I didn't think things could get more uncomfortable, but I was wrong. The next letter was against abortion. Everyone signed it, except for me. There was nothing I could do but smile and say, "I don't agree with the church's stance on both of these issues."

Today I am still in favor of the death penalty, but wavering. I'm still 100% for women's rights over their bodies.

No comments: