Monday, March 21, 2005

Bus

I still don't have my car so I took the bus this morning. These two women were talking (in Spanish) about someone who speaks Spanish but refuses to do so. This is not highly looked upon in my community. People that do this get on my nerves as well. As they are talking about this person they both know, they started looking at me like I'm one of those snobs.

This is always tricky. I've been in situations where I greet someone in Spanish and they answer me in English mildly annoyed. I've greeted someone in English and they answer me in Spanish more than mildly annoyed. How the hell am I suppose to know what language you want to be greeted in?

I've had the encounters where the other person assumes I don't speak English and proceeds to show me up. Ok, if you feel you must prove something go ahead, but don't get upset if I correct your language usage. There is this I'm better than you thing going on. Of course, it's not everyone, but it's there and I hate it.

Back to the bus ladies..."Esta gente con el nopal en la frente." Indirectly directed at me. What did I do? I'm sitting there trying to get to work, minding my own damn business and I am branded a snob. Somedays we run into these lose-lose situations and nobody is better for it.

No comments: