Saturday, May 13, 2006

First Communion

We woke up bright and early, well not to early, to get some exercise into our day. All we did was walk, but considering the weather was freakin' hot it felt like we overexerted ourselves. It was nice to be out there with my mom, conversing with her, catching up on the family gossip. Just being next to her.

The communion was okay. The kids did not rehearse very well, I could tell because they were having trouble getting back to their seats when it was time. The median age was about 12. There were some real tiny 12 year olds and some really tall ones. My cousin was one of the tallest girls.

We went to the family BBQ to celebrate. I'm not close to this section of my family. I'm not close to my mother's side of the family. I didn't grow up with them so it's hard to feel like I know these people. They are almost strangers. Well, they must have felt the same way because I didn't see anyone approaching us for conversation which sucked. I developed a headache soon after we arrived due to the heat and I was not in the greatest of moods because of it. Then we left.

We went to the movies after the BBQ because there would be air-conditioning! I opted for 'United 93.' The movie about the flight that was suppose to hit the white house on 9/11. Some of the hype behind this movie is that it has received the blessing of the families. I cried. The images of the airplanes hitting the World Trade Center are so ingrained in our psyche yet to see them again on the big screen it brings it all back. Sitting there watching, and we know what's going to happen next. Felt extreme frustration at the lack of knowledge and communication seen in the control rooms.
The people on this flight fought back. I travel enough. Sometimes its hard for me to travel down the aisle with a backpack or a carry on. There isn't enough space. To see the images of people running down the aisle towards the pilot's quarters seems unrealistic, but adrenaline must make everything possible.

No comments: