Saturday, May 27, 2006

Monterey - Carmel - Big Sur

My father and I hit the road this morning heading south because he had not been to Monterey yet. We were off to scratch that destination off the list.

Monterey was crowded. It is Memorial Day weekend and people were out. We walked down Cannery Row towards the Aquarium. Stepped into a lot of shops to look at the goods. My dad, the tourist, took a number of pictures.
My dad can't walk for lengthy periods of time, since he refuses to go to the doctor we don't know what the cause is. Bottom line is he walks a bit and rests a bit. That's why it was a leisurely stroll. Perfect weather.

None of this was planned, we were going to play it by ear. After Cannery Row we made the drive, the 17-mile drive. Gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful. This was a first for me too. You get a map and drive for 17 miles. There are markers where you pull over to look at specific sides. Did I already mention how beautiful it is? To see the Pacific Ocean in all its majesty right there was breathtaking. And it was windy and cold! A few times we had to get back in the car to get warm although the sun was shining brightly.
My side commentary here. I am very aware of the differences in earning power we all have. Driving the 17-mile drive though, really brought it home. The differences. We were in the playground of the rich. I don't envy people that have money. I kept thinking of the homeless people I was going to be passing on my way to work on Tuesday. The difference is too much.

We skipped out on the drive to go through Carmel. What a cute little town! It's so tiny parking is an issue which is why we did not stop here. We drove down the main street, making a mental note that I had to come back to browse.

We continued our drive to Big Sur. It was about 4 PM. We were tired, but worse yet, we were hungry. Views are breathtaking. But when we saw the sign that said next 60 miles drive with care, hilly and windy. Forget it. We turned the car around and decided to drive through Salinas. Definite agricultural center. We were driving through Salinas about 5:30PM and the place was dead. I could not live there. Even if I am a homebody most of the time, I like to know there is something going on should I decide to do something.

Since we were on the way back home, I had to make a stop in Gilroy for some shopping. My father, bless his heart, has so much patience with me. Like most men, the last thing he wants to do is go into store after store. But he did. And when I realized I was taking too long, I'd find him patiently sitting outside.

We were exhausted by the time we got home.

No comments: