Sunday, February 06, 2005

Hotel Rwanda (movie)

1994. Where the hell was I and what was consuming all of my attention? Let see, I worked full-time and was a full-time student. Any time left over, which was limited, was devoted to school work, family, friends and a boyfriend. Is this an excuse for not knowing about the genocide in Rwanda? Of course not.

This movie educated me on the atrocities that took place in Rwanda. There were many scenes that made my jaw drop, but one in particular I could not even dream up in my worst nightmare. Paul thinking they had driven off the road only to discover they were driving over bodies.

There were few dry eyes in the theatre. I could hear the sniffling of my fellow movie patrons. Even though this happened in the past, there is a feeling of helplessness. In the past, I have often been torn as to where to devote my help. Do I focus on the people in my country, where plenty need some form of help? Or should the focus be outside of the country. I have limited funds I can donate. In the end, my hope is that it all evens out somehow. With some people finding their passion in local causes and others in international causes. Is it unrealistic to have this simple wish.

No comments: