Friday, July 29, 2005

Fat Reading

The first time I saw this advertisement I didn't like it. That's when I knew I had officially been brainwashed by television, radio and the print media. I am so used to seeing the thin, long-legged models that normal doesn't look right to me anymore. What the f*ck! Instead of celebrating this media milestone, bashing the unrealistic ideal, I found it flawed. No, this is not a celebration of fat. It's a step in the right direction and I was slow to accept it.

When I saw the advertisement, I was in the middle of reading Fat: The Anthropology of an Obsession. This book is really interesting. It looks at how fat is seen in different parts of the world. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. It proves that fat is an unhealthy obsession not only here, but in most first world countries.

No comments: