Sunday, July 31, 2005

Romance...kind of

Today was a romance movie marathon. Three movies to be exact.

An Affair of Love I queued up this movie again because I recommended it to a co-worker who in turn told me I'd probably like L'Ennui. Hello?! An Affair was about two strangers who meet for sex and wind up falling in love. (sigh) L'Ennui was about disturbing, mad, sexal obsession. An Affair made it very clear to me to tell someone if I was into them or not regardless of the possible outsome of such a confession. It was a beautiful movie.

The next two movies I saw sequentially and for the first time. They did not disappoint. Before Sunrise is about an American and a French girl who meet on a train and spend the day together in Vienna before he flies off to the U.S. in the morning. It's twentysomething dialogue against beautiful backdrops. I kept wishing they would not sleep together. No luck. They slept together. They also promise to meet each other six months to the day because they recognize the spark of, dare I say it, soul mates.

As it turns out, they were unable to meet 6 months later. That's where Before Sunset comes in. Time elapsed...9 years later. A fluke. He's promoting a book in Paris where she lives. She shows up at the signing. Awkwardness. They fall back into dialogue. He's married. She's not. They both regret not being able to meet as planned 9 years before. And the movie leaves viewers guessing, which leaves the door wide open for another sequel.

Sunrise has these two individuals meet by chance and connect on a certain level. I believe this is what people do with the internet everyday...chatting in particular. To 'talk' and divulge to a total stranger and having it seem right. Then after sometime reality kicks in.

Sunset made me wonder about the what ifs in my own life. I wonder if I will ever get to see him again. If we do meet somewhere, it's fate. I'm not holding my breath, but it saddens me to think that under different circumstance that could have been the one.

Like I said, it was a day of romance what ifs.

No comments: