Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Food


My "I'm going to cook this year" mentality has not worked out.
Yeah, I've dabbled with a few things and they turned out pretty
good, but a few things is not what I was aiming for.

A few months back there was and episode on 60 Minutes
about a French restaurant where meals average $500/person.
This place is the creme de la creme. 'Poor' people save up their
entire lives for this one meal. Now that is an appreciation for food.

I'm one of the many that eat for sustenance and not necessarily
for the pure enjoyment of it. Processed this, processed that.
Organic. All-natural. Fat-free. Cholestoral-free. Growth-hormones.
All these labels kill the enjoyment, if I think about them
for too long.

If I'm not cooking the stuff myself, might as well enjoy the
restaurants this city has to offer.

Vietnamese? Don't like it.
Indian? I'm not crazy about Indian food.
Chinese? Like it.
Japanese? Like it a lot more than Chinese food.
Korean? It's all right.
Thai? Like it well enough.
Greek? Love Greek food.
Italian? Love Italian food.
Persian? Love Persian food.
Mexican? Only the authentic stuff. The one made in
someone's home like my mom's or grandma's.
Cuban? I miss good Cuban food.
Puerto Rican? It's okay, prefer Cuban.
Peruvian? Like it.
French? Have only had it once and I didn't like it.
Russian? Not sure.
Filipino? Pretty good.
American? Of course, I like American food although I can't
name a specialty plate. And no, contrary to popular belief
it is not defined by McDonalds.