Sunday, March 14, 2004

Old People and Heaven


I first read Tuesdays with Morrie a couple of years ago. I love this book. It's extremely touching. It's a quick read. It reminds us of the 'important' stuff, the common-sense stuff we forget about. I gave this book as a gift to a couple of people and they loved it too. Man or woman, the receiver was touched and admitted to being close to tears. Maybe I just hang out with sensitive people.

Tuesdays reminds us that old people are living treasures and that we should appreciate it them all the way to the end. All the people that stick their parents in a nursing home should read this. I know, I know sometimes people can't take care of their aging parents. I guess the point is not to forget about them. I've volunteered at a nursing home. Sad. Very sad.

Since I thoroughly enjoyed Tuesdays with Morrie I knew I was going to read Mitch Albom's next work: The Five People You Meet in Heaven. The premise of this book is heaven and how it receives you. Each of the five people is there for a lesson or an insight.

It made me think about the people I interact with in my everyday life. The people I am nice to or rude to. It emphasizes how we are all interconnected. How the one thing you think is mundane, could have a huge effect on someone else...domino effect. A simpler version of the 'butterfly effect' which "is the essence of chaos."

I liked the story, but not more than Tuesdays with Morrie.