Sunday, March 28, 2004

Bad News


Bennifer. I really thought they were going to make it. Goes to show you what I know.

Jersey Girl
This was the cutest film this year. Predictable, but cute. The little girl, Raquel Castro, is adorable! I wanted to have a little daughter after watching this film. (And I've yet to have maternal instincts.)

There is a scene in this film where they deliver the bad news to Ben Affleck's character that his wife has died in childbirth. It was very moving. I've never been in a situation where I get bad news at a hospital or witnessed someone getting bad news. Thank goodness.

What is the best way to deliver bad news? I think sometimes there is no good way to deliver bad news. The worst way happen to my own mother. She got a call at work from one of her siblings telling her, "Mom died." Just like that. Talk about lacking an ounce of tact.

Last year I got an email at work. I was expecting a joke. I was in the middle of a project deadline and needed a quick break. I check my email and it said one of friends had passed away after a long health battle. Screw the project deadline, my day was done.

About a week ago I called the place where I volunteer to set up my schedule for the week. I was told that the coordinator, a very sweet person, had 24 hours to live. I had spoken to her about a week and a half ago. She was her cheery, happy self. A day later there was a message on my answering machine, she passed away about 3pm, almost 24 hours to the minute.

What have I learned? That I don't want to get bad news at work. Too bad it is not up to me to decide when.