Saturday, January 24, 2004

The Amish


I thought the Amish were mainly found in Pennsylvania. I was wrong. You can find
the Amish in various states, e.g., Florida, Indiana, Ohio, etc.

I'm not very knowledgeable on their beliefs, but I know they choose to live outside of
modernity and follow the Bible to the letter. They choose to stop education at about
the 8th grade. Women are second class citizens, no 50/50 idealism.

It's hard for me to understand why anyone would want to live outside of modern times
voluntarily. But, at the same time I find this way of life oddly intriguing and peaceful.

Devil's Playground
I found this documentary very interesting due to the contrast.

"... At age 16, Amish youngsters are allowed to break free of the religion's strict code of conduct
to decide whether they want to be baptized as adults. During the period of 'rumspringa,' a Pennsylvania
Dutch term that means 'running around,' they often date, drink, drive cars and move away from
their homes.

The majority return to the faith. ..."

Of course, reality t.v. could not be far behind: Amish and the City