Thursday, January 01, 2004

I Love Movies


One of my favorite things to do is watch movies. This past week I have watched 4 movies after almost
a month without my movie fix. Going this long without visiting a theatre is virtually unheard of for me.
This makes me the wrong person to try and rent a video with since you can bet I've already seen most of
what you had in mind.

I am not one of those people who critiques technique, lighting, camera angles, etc. I rate a movie by the
way it makes me feel. Am I completely into it or looking at my watch to see how long I have been seated?

Here are my observations and/or comments.

House of Sand and Fog
I'm not sure why I wanted to see this movie, but I am glad I did. Although it is a movie everything that happened
in it can happen in real life.

Walking out of the theatre an older guy says to me, "He was greedy. He could have avoided all that if he had
not let his greed get in the way." I just smiled and thought to myself, "Did we just see the same movie? Did you
miss the whole other point to the story? Do you think she had no blame at all!"
Having been exposed to the Persian culture a bit, I may be a little biased; but this man clearly does not think
outside the box. He irritated me, can you tell?

Something's Gotta Give
I loved this movie. If I ever get a DVD player, I'll definitely buy the DVD.

It's funny how I am more willing to accept an older man dating a younger woman than the younger man-older woman
scenario. Then again, I'm no longer the "younger" woman to the older men I seem to be attracted to. Maybe I'll
have a change of age requirements soon. ;)

Mona Lisa Smile
If Julia Roberts is in a movie, I'm watching it. I was not expecting to like this movie much, but I did because it
made me think. Growing up I so wanted to be in a June-Ward Cleaver life, which is what was in this film minus the
comedy and the Beaver. What was I thinking? Although I wish I had some "finishing school" training, which is the
salad fork again?

Paycheck
It was okay. Never realized how beautiful Uma Thurman is. By the way, consider watching Kill Bill Vol. 1,
women kick ass in that one.