Thursday, January 22, 2004

Better Late than Never


Damn, it took me over a decade to watch this. I would probably be deep
in nonprofits had I seen this docu-film in my more impressionable years.

Roger & Me
This docu-film was great. It was funny (in a different way) and eye-opening even if it
was released in 1989. People never fail to amaze me. They either do not think
before they speak or really have no clue. That happened a few times in this film,
specifically the rich people talking about the laid off blue-collar workers. It sheds a
brighter light to 'walk a mile in someone else's shoes.'

I'm on the fence about a segment in the film. Factories going to Mexico for the
cheaper labor. I have seen the poverty of Mexico. Mexico provides a competitive
(wage-wise) alternative labor pool. Businesswise it makes sense. Having witnessed
the poverty there it makes sense. As an 'American', it is hard to justify.

Fast-forward to present day and ask me how I feel about companies, including the
one I am employed by, sending software development to India. Don't like it.
I'm directly affected in one way or another by this money saving strategy.
Let Russia and China open up and things will be dire indeed. So when I hear
management complaining about employee loyalty, I can't help but ask 'Where is
the company's loyalty to its employees?'

My first intro to Michael Moore's work was Bowling for Columbine.
My friend and I were speechless walking out of that theatre. Dialogue continued
for days and we proceeded to spread word about the film to our friends. Those
friends who really needed to see the film and maybe would have a change of heart
regarding their own personal views.

Roger & Me reminded me of three things.

  1. Nickel and Dimed

    This book reinforced what I have forgotten. It's tough to live on minimum wage.
    Minimum wage for me was $4.25/hr back in the day, except I wasn't 'making a
    living' I was earning weekend spending money.

  2. Broken Window Theory

    I was given this link from the perspective of software development chaos.
    The 'broken window' for Flint, Michigan was GM leaving.

  3. White-collar woes

    "Walk a mile in someone else's shoes," who knows, I may be destined to do the same.



Be warned: Roger & Me has a very graphic scene involving a bunny. Thumper?