Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Dinner and a movie


There is a group of us that loves movies, but we can't seem to be able
to make a regular go of it due to our erratic work schedules.
Well, finally, we made it to a film, but first came the Thai food. Why is it
that when it comes time to make a decision no one will make it?

x: Where do you want to go?
y: I don't know, where do you want to go?
me: I don't care, I'm not the vegetarian.

It never fails. If you have dietary restrictions, it's best to jump at the
opportunity to pick a place. They were the vegetarians afterall not me.
Thai food it was. I'm not crazy about Thai food, but as long as it is not
seafood, I'm okay with it. Top that with varying conversation tidbits and
we were off to a good start.

Lost in Translation
Good movie, except I expected to like it a lot more than I did. Part of it was
I could not relate.

My friends have both been in situations where they were foreigners living
abroad. One of them lived in Tokyo without speaking Japanese. One of them
lived in Ecuador with limited Spanish. They experienced culture shock.
I've never experienced that. I've been to Canada and speak English. I've been
to Mexico and speak Spanish. I've never been up a creek as far as communication
is concerned, except on two different stops in Chinatown where people started
conversations in Chinese. Oh, and the time I went to a Persian restaurant and
the waitress got annoyed that I would not order in Farsi. I guess I blend in. Go
figure.

Will they, won't they? I'm glad they didn't.

Lost in direction? Sure I question my life sometimes. Who doesn't?

Lost in communication? Pay attention to the marriages. They instilled fear in me.

Peaceful geisha. Serene Shinto shrine with the 'paper' decorated branches.
["By tying the piece of paper around a tree's branch, good fortune will come
true or bad fortune can be averted." ]
I loved the Tokyo scenery. So lively. So stress-inducing.

Scarlett Johansson's beautiful lips and her character's knitted scarf. ;)

To top it all off, this morning on my way to work a young lady approached me.
Her accent sounded Swedish.

Tourist: Direction? [Pointing to her map.]
Me: Hi, where do you want to go?
Tourist: Direction please. [Smiled, hands me map.]
Me: Ferry Building [pointing to tower] is there.
Union Square is that way [pointing as far as eye can see in opposite direction]
Tourist: Ferry Building, thank you.
Me: Have fun. [Smiled]