Sunday, January 11, 2004

DVD Rentals


Girlfight
I really enjoyed this movie. Boxing is no joke. I took a class a few years ago. I was
winded before the darn pretend three minute sparring round was over. I appreciated
the work Michelle Rodriguez had to put in to train for this film.
The grittiness of the film was great since not everyone is upper middle class happy.

There was some slow background music during fight and training scenes. The music
made it all seem poetic. It dawned on me the huge impact music has in films. Never
really thought about it before, even after buying a few soundtracks.

All this got me thinking, has there been a movie, say in the last twenty years, where
music has been absent from the film?

The Hours
I avoided this film for a long time. It looked too depressing. I was right.
Talk about a tormented existence times three. I enjoyed it.

A movie that makes me want to read the books it was based on is rare. I will be
checking out the following books:
1. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
2. The Hours by Michael Cunningham

Then I will watch the movie again.

Cinema Paradiso Director's Cut
I cried. Need I say more. This movie came highly recommended and yet it took me
this long to view it. I should have listened.
The friendship was beautiful!
How long does it take to get over unrequited love anyway? I hope it never takes me
that long.

There are two versions of this film. I saw the latest release, which I believe answered
questions that the original did not.