Saturday, February 14, 2004

Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu


I first heard of this director from all the buzz for Amores Perros. And since I firmly
believe in supporting Spanish-speaking artists, in particular if they are Mexican or
of Mexican decent, I went to see Amores Perros. I remember thinking that I go to
movies for the escapist aspect of them, not to be slapped with such reality. I can watch
the nightly news or focus on the crisis calls I answer once a week at the suicide hotline
if I wanted to see such cheerless snapshots.
Yep, I walked out of there somewhat uncomfortable and proceeded to call my friends
to tell them they should go support the film too.

When I saw Gonzalez Iñarritu comment on his newest film on a Spanish entertainment
show and heard him say the general premiere was to take place in Mexico I knew I was
going to see this one too, because regardless of his previous success he still respected
his 'roots,' if you will.

21 Grams
I knew to expect that in-your-face realism, I was prepared...or so I thought. I love movies
that allow me reflect days after I have watched them.
I have been thinking about three topics in this film.

1. Accidents/Mistakes
Sometimes things happen, specially on the road, where you could be doing everything
right, but someone around you may not....and then an accident! Through no fault of
your own you could be involved in something terrible. I had a friend who was enjoying
a sunny Southern California day, bike riding by the beach. He had his protective gear
on. Unfortunately, the other bike rider, who was going the wrong way and at a faster
speed than allowed, did not. They collided. Two bikes collided and one person died. My
friend survived with his teeth knocked out and two black eyes, but his conscious was in
tatters with 'what ifs.' Is he a murderer? Of course not.
Now take someone who has made mistakes in judgement in his/her life. Mistakes with
consequences where he/she was held accountable. Assault, robbery, carjacking perhaps.
How many of us have driven over the speed limit or taken a turn too fast or talked on our
cell phones while driving? Which leads me to...

2. Second chances
My friend's second chance he had to give to himself. He was traumatized and felt an
unearned guilt.
Now take someone who had a lapse in judgment. When applying for a job there is the
question 'Have you even been convicted of a crime?' Now, if I had my own business I
don't know how much of a negative effect, if any, a 'yes' answer would have on me.
Would I give someone a second chance?
Currently in the Bay area, there is a child molester, who has served his time and has been
chemically castrated, that can't find a place to live. Communities run him out of town.
Does he deserve a second chance to start over?

3. Organ Donation
This one is a touchy subject for me. People without medical insurance, e.g., undocumented
immigrants, get screwed when it comes to medical treatment. I have witnessed this in
clinics and hospitals. So if the undocumented and the poor are getting inadequate
treatment to begin with how am I guaranteed that my organs would not be given to a
patient who can pay instead of the one who can't? How do I know that discrimination
will not take place? I do not have the organ donor sticker on my driver's license and that
will change.
My mother is one of the of the approximately 77,000 people in the U.S. (as of 2001) who is
on the national waiting list for an organ. "You can help up to 50 people. ...... An average of
15 people die every day because not enough organs are available." (www.organdonor.gov)
For my mother to get the call that a kidney is available, someone will have to have died.
I will be getting that sticker this week. In a crazy way, it makes me want to be a healthier
person, so that they can salvage as much as they can to help others if it comes to that.

On the flipside, you have the well-off going to third world countries and buying kidneys
from people that are in dire need of money, food, shelter, etc. I am confused about this
subject. Two parties will get what they want/need, but at what cost?

Yes, 21 Grams had an impact on me.