Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Job, Career or Passion


Oprah Magazine's (March '04) main theme was happiness. One of the articles
talked about work. Considering how many hours are spent at work, it plays
a large role in our overall happiness.

The question was: do you consider your work a job, a career or a passion? I
don't consider it a passion. Some days I consider it just a job and others a
career. I know that I don't dread going to work, I'd say 95% of the time I am
happy to be there. My team is amazing and I am constantly challenged on different
levels. Do I want to do this stuff for the rest of my working life? Nope.

I've only met a handful of people who LOVED their job. Mathematicians.
They were the first people at work and the last to leave...because they wanted
to. They wanted to solve 'the problem', etc, etc, etc. I remember being in awe
and some of these days a little jealous too.

A nice email was sent out asking for volunteers to come in this weekend to
wrap up one of the releases for our project. I'm one of the main people, so I
have to give up my weekend. I just started laughing when they sent the email.
The thought crossed my mind, "No, I don't volunteer, what do you
think about that?" ;)

In the long haul, I see myself owning a little shop somewhere. Something fun.
Something I enjoy, when I was really into knitting I thought it would be a
knitting shop. ;)